No child should have to play outdoors amongst tobacco smoke. Young Lungs at Play is dedicated to helping communities create tobacco-free parks, playgrounds and recreational areas for children. Municipalities, school districts, youth sports organizations and other groups are invited to join the Pennsylvania Department of Health and partnering agencies in eliminating children’s exposure to secondhand smoke at public parks and playgrounds. Participate by adopting a 100% tobacco free ordinance, policy or resolution in public areas where children play and installing signs to help enforce this change.
Help make parks and recreation areas become tobacco-free zones in your communities. Let’s all help protect children from second-hand smoke.
Please join Tobacco Free Adagio Health and partnering agencies in eliminating children’s secondhand smoke exposure at public parks and playgrounds.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
With the help of a Tobacco Specialist you can JOIN Young Lungs at Play! in just 3 easy steps:
- We will develop, adopt and implement a local tobacco-free parks and playgrounds ordinance, policy or resolution that identifies the specific areas within the park or playground being covered and includes:
- A statement that all forms of tobacco use are prohibited (including e-cigarettes)
- A plan of enforcement for tobacco violations.
- A communications plan for informing the patrons of the tobacco free status.
- We will submit your Young Lungs at Play plan to the Department of Health.
- You will receive your Young Lungs at Play signs to install in the designated areas.
Young Lungs at Play Participants Will Receive:
- Resources and Technical Assistance: attendance at meetings to provide Young Lungs at Play information; sample ordinances, policies, or resolutions; and sample press releases to notify the general community and media.
- Signs: When the ordinance is adopted, upon request, you will be provided with FREE, standard pre-imprinted 12”X18” metal signs to place in your tobacco-free area(s).
State Honor Roll
Fact Sheet (PDF)
Sample Policy (PDF)
Sample Ordinance/Resolution (PDF)