Are you ready to quit smoking? Every smoker has their own personal motivation for quitting.
Some questions to ask yourself right now would include:
- What do I dislike about smoking?
- What is happening to my health?
- How is my smoking affecting my family?
- How will my life get better when I quit?
Here are some common reasons and you can think about what is most important to you.
Your health is one of the most common reasons for quitting tobacco and nicotine use. Your body begins to repair the damage almost immediately! See the health benefits you’ll experience as soon as 20 minutes to 15 years after quitting.
20 Minutes After Quitting:
12 Hours After Quitting:
- Your heart rate drops to a normal level.
2 Weeks to 3 Months After Quitting:
- The carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal.
1 to 9 Months After Quitting:
- Your risk of having a heart attack begins to drop.
- Your lung function begins to improve.
1 Year After Quitting:
- Your coughing and shortness of breath decrease.
5 to 15 Years After Quitting:
- Your added risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker's.
10 Years After Quitting:
- Your risk of having a stroke is reduced to that of a nonsmoker's.
- Your risk of getting cancer of the mouth, throat, or esophagus is half that of a smoker's.
15 Years After Quitting:
- Your risk of dying from lung cancer is about half that of a smoker's.
- Your risk of getting bladder cancer is half that of a smoker's.
- Your risk of getting cervical cancer or cancer of the larynx, kidney or pancreas decreases.
- Your risk of coronary heart disease is the same as that of a nonsmoker.
Source: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The Health Consequences of Smoking: A Report of the Surgeon General. Atlanta, GA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health, 2004.
For more information about quitting and your health visits smokefree.gov
There are many benefits to your lifestyle when you quit tobacco. Say these things out loud and feel instant excitement for this journey!
- More money to spend on other things.
- More time with family.
- My clothes, car, home, kids, will all smell better!
- Food will taste better and I will be able to smell things better.
- No more worrying about when or where I can smoke next.